Recently added presentations for the Dec. 9-12 conference will cover composites analysis and optimization, automotive light-weighting, insulation using lignin carbon fibers, 3-D printing with carbon fiber and carbon fiber export controls.
CompositesWorld, publisher of High-Performance Composites, Composites Technology magazines, and the CW Weekly newsletter, says that the agenda for its annual Carbon Fiber conference, Dec. 9-12, 2013, at the Crowne Plaza Knoxville in Knoxville, Tenn., USA, is nearing completion and should be finalized soon.
Sponsored by C.A. Litzler, Harper International, Knoxville/Oak Ridge Innovation Valley, Oak Ridge Carbon Fiber Composites Consortium, Izumi International and Toho Tenax America Inc., Carbon Fiber 2013's newest confirmed speakers include:
- Brett Chouinard, COO, Altair: "Analysis and Optimization of Composite Structures – Challenges and Opportunities"
- Probir Guha, vice president, R&D, Continental Structural Plastics: "Automotive Light Weighting Opportunities & Challenges"
- Tracy Albers, manager-external interactions and Chong Chen, senior research scientist, GrafTech International: "High Temperature Insulation from Lignin Carbon Fibers"
- Chad Duty, Oak Ridge National Laboratory: "3D Printing with Carbon Fiber Reinforcement"
- John Larkin, president, LTI Associates: "Export Controls and the Carbon Fiber Industry"
Other speakers already on the schedule include:
- Angelos Miaris, Premium AEROTEC GmbH: "Producing Thermoplastic Matrix Composites for Aeronautical Applications under Industrial Scale Conditions"
- Hendrik Mainka, Volkswagen Group of America Inc.: "Alternative Precursors for Sustainable and Cost-effective Automotive Carbon Fibers"
- Gary R. Lownsdale, CTO, Plasan Carbon Composites: "Next Generation Carbon Fiber Composites: Beyond Medium Volume"
- Neel Sirosh, CTO, Quantum Technologies Inc.: "Carbon Fiber Powering America’s Big Rigs"
- Anthony Vicari, research associate, Lux Research: "Planning for Ripe Fruit: Materials Innovation Lifecycles as a Scouting Tool"
- Mark Campbell, new product development, Hyperco Div., MW Industries: "Development of Hyperco Carbon-composite 'Bellows Spring' (CCBS) System for Automotive Suspensions"
- Chris McHugh, technical manager, Sigmatex (UK) Ltd.: "Application and Processing of Complex Fabrics for Lightweight Structures"
- Gary D. Roberts, research materials engineer, NASA Glenn Research Center: "A Hybrid Composite/Metal Gear Concept for Rotorcraft Drive Systems"
- Gordon Lacy, mechanical engineer, NRC Canada: "Design and Fabrication of the DVA-1 Radio Antenna"
- John M. Carson, executive director, AltusGroup Inc.: "Lighter, Stronger, Greener: How Carbon Fiber is Modernizing Precast Concrete!"
- Aaron Barr, technology advisor, MAKE Consulting: "Carbon Fiber Usage in the Wind Energy Industry"
For more information about the conference, or to register, visit Carbon Fiber 2013.