WEB EXCLUSIVE: More late news on the Dusseldorf show: Three new product families from Lanxess (U.S. office in Pittsburgh) will debut at K 2010 next month. All are aimed at least partly at automotive.
- New nylon 6 and 66 grades with 35% glass are optimized for physical or chemical foaming to produce very fine-cell foams with excellent surface quality. Applications include automotive cylinder-head covers and fan shrouds, as well as electrical parts such as plugs, connectors, lamp sockets, and housings for thermostats and hand tools.
- New Durethan AKV 30 G HR DUS 023 is a hydrolysis-resistant nylon 66 with 30% of a special glass fiber and other additives tailored for water- or gas-assisted injection of automotive oil and coolant pipes and fuel lines or manifolds. It is recommended especially for hollow parts with wide channels and complex geometries. Its flow and crystallization have been optimized to prevent forming small wrinkles or grooves on the outer surface of parts, which can cause leaks.
- Three new PBT blends are aimed at truck cab exterior components. Pocan A3131 is PBT/ASA with 30% glass, optimized to minimize distortion and provide smooth surfaces that are easy to paint. It has excellent flow for large, thin-wall parts with highly structured geometries, such as wind deflectors nd door extensions. Its high heat resistance (175 C/347 F Vicat) provides a larger process window for painting.
- Pocan C3230 XF PBT/PC with 30% glass has virtually isotropic shrinkage for minimal distortion of large panels, trim, and lamp housings. Its flowability and toughness were also improved (two properties that usually counteract each other). It has 40% higher flow and 30% greater toughness than standard PBT/PC (Pocan KU 1-7635).
- Extremely stiff, strong, and tough Pocan T3150 XF PBT/PET with 55% glass could substitute for die-cast aluminum in handles, mirror arms, and steps. Its very high elastic modulus of 18,500 MPa (2.682 million psi) is not affected by humidity. It also boasts good weatherability, despite its high glass content.
(800) 526-9377 • us.lanxess.com
111 RIDC Park West Dr Pittsburgh, PA 15275
Phone (412) 809-1000 Fax (412) 519-2268