A versatile new series of TPEs geared to the production of colorful and touch-friendly personal electronic devices such as earbuds, computer mice, fitness trackers, and smart watches will be featured at NPE 2015 by Teknor Apex Co., Pawtucket, R.I.
The new consumer electronic series of compounds is part of the Monprene family of TPEs, comprised of proprietary blends of styrenic tri-block copolymer rubber and thermoplastic. All these compounds boast resistance to skin oil, stains, household chemicals, and UV and are free and are free of latex, phthalates, BPA, and heavy metals. Grades designed for overmolding are said to show excellent adhesion to PC, ABS, and PC/ABS. Teknor will highlight the following grades:
• OM-13255 and OM-13265 55 and 65 Shore A overmolding compounds for wearable devices are said to provide a silky smooth feel, with low surface friction in uses like wristbands. Their light natural color allows for excellent colorability.
• OM-16277, a naturally translucent 75 Shore A overmolding compound for earbuds is said to offer a soft, conforming fit in the ear and is lightweight, with a specific gravity of 0.910.
• OM-12268, a 70 Shore A overmolding compound for smart phone cases reportedly provides a soft, shock-absorbing protective layer over the rigid case. Tests for adhesion strength, show failure is cohesive rather than adhesive with this compound, which has a slick surface that permits the phone to be easily slipped into and removed from pockets.
• OM-12267 and OM-12245 65 and 45 Shore A overmolding compounds for grips on computer mice or game controllers are said to provide comfortable, secure grips, with a non-slip surface and a matte finish and are formulated for abrasion resistance.
• CE-1700 Series of flexible halogen-free 65, 75, or 85 Shore A compounds for jacketing of earpiece cords reportedly drape well, remain flexible at low temperatures and exhibit good tear strength. Compared to conventional TPEs, they boast superior resistance to skin oil, seat, suntan lotion, and olive oil, while their extrudability is said to be superior to that of PVC, TPU and CoPE.
Want to find or compare materials data for different resins, grades, or suppliers? Check out Plastic Technology’s Plaspec Global materials database.
Editor PickPLASTICS Offers Registration Price Break in Honor of Earth Day
This applicable to registration for the organization’s second annual Re/Focus Sustainability & Recycling Summit.