WEB EXCLUSIVE: Five new sheet and pellet materials for aircraft interiors are said to offer new opportunities for weight reduction.
WEB EXCLUSIVE: Five new sheet and pellet materials for aircraft interiors are said to offer new opportunities for weight reduction. The five Lexan PC and Ultem PEI materials from SABIC Innovative Plastics, Pittsfield, Mass., employ non-halogen technology to meet a wide variety of U.S. and foreign specs for flame, smoke, toxic fumes (FST) and heat release.
- Lexan XHR (extremely low heat-release) 6000 polycarbonate sheet allows weight reductions of up to 11% vs. PVC/acrylic alloys previously used in aircraft seating, cockpit linings, window surrounds, door shrouds, and other interior components. In addition, the next generation of popular Lexan F6000 opaque sheet will be launched later this year and will offer improved melt strength and surface quality during thermoforming.
- Transparent Lexan F2000A sheet is a candidate for windows, light diffusers and signs. It’s said to combine excellent FST performance and impact strength.
- In molding pellets, SABIC came out with 40% carbon-filled Ultem polyetherimide featuring exceptional stiffness with twice as much flow as before, enabling easier and faster molding of thin-wall parts to replace die-cast aluminum in structural components with up to 50% lower weight and up to 40% higher strength. Potential uses include arm and foot rests, structural supports, tray-table arms, and galley coffee-maker chassis.
- Ultem 9090 is the next-generation of low-heat-release PEI with improved ductility, chemical resistance, and UV stability. It reportedly will withstand typical cleaning cycles over 25 years with minimal damage.
- Also new is a clear formulation of Lexan FST copolymer. It could be the first plastic to replace glass in large aircraft lighting domes, cabin dividers, and seating components. Injection molding applications will come first, and later profile extrusions.
(800) 845-0600 • sabic-ip.com
Sabic Innovative Plastics
One Plastics Ave. Pittsfield, MA 01201
Phone (413) 448-7110 Fax (413) 448-5214