Why Is Purging Compound Necessary?
Purging compound is formulated specifically to clean thermoplastics molding machines and extruders while virgin or regrind does not have the detergency and cleaning power.
- Virgin or scrap resin (regrind) is not purging compound.
- Resin cannot effectively remove previous resins or color/carbon deposits from the previous run.
- Or worse, scrap resin can potentially re-introduce contaminants (color/carbon) into the machine.
- Layers of resin can accumulate, degrade over time and develop into carbon contamination over time in the barrel
- Once developed into contamination it is more difficult to clean.
- Prevent unnecessary machine overhauls
- Overhauling the machine and manually clean a machine takes hours and a day for larger machines. Cleaning with a metal brush and other tools, etc., can be abrasive over time and may contribute to tear and wear of the screw.