Finding the Right Fill: Wood Plastic Compounding Showcasing an Enhanced Twin Screw Extruder Setup
July 29, 2020
You may need to install the GoToMeeting Codec for Windows Media Player to watch recorded webinars.
Finding the right formulation that works in a process environment is a challenging task that consumes a lot of time - and sometimes even very expensive production test runs. Lab scale equipment is ideal to minimize the development time to validate and optimize the formulation. This webinar highlights a case study to investigate the right material and the right fill. Learn about an optimized process showcasing an enhanced lab scale compounding setup - including loss in weight feeders - and a novel way of creating test specimen straight out of the compounding process. Brabender chose a sustainable approach with a sawdust filler for a typical wood plastic compound formulation.
- Use of gravimetric feeders for stable and consistent results
- More formulations in less time to save costs
- Find the ideal filler fill rate for the best performance and cost
- Learn about space-efficient full lab scale equipment and possibilities
President, C.W. Brabender Instruments
Christoph Pielen studied Mechanical Engineering with the specialization of plastics processing engineering at the RWTH Achen University, Germany.
- 2002-2008: Institute of Plastics Processing (IKV) at RWTH Aachen University. Development & testing of new rubber compounds and rubber foam extrusion.
- 2012-2014: Brabender GmbH, Germany. He joined the team to support international technical sales and customer service.
- 2014- 2019: Brabender CWB, USA. He took over the responsibility as the laboratory manger - chemical division.
- November 2019, Brabender CWB, USA. He was assigned to lead the company as the new President.
- Active member ASTM including plastics, rubber and carbon black.